Thursday 22 March 2007

The Adventure Begins

Have you ever watched one of those TV shows about how we should all be doing our bit to save the planet, and thought, "it's alright for them to say that but they don't live on my income and have an uncooperative family"?
Well, I did! I have a disposable income of about £20 a month, 4 adult children, a dog and 2 cats. And we all live together in a very small council house in Croxley Green, Hertfordshire. If I were to ask the council if I could install solar panels on my roof, I know exactly what they would say! Of course, I can't afford solar panels and therefore must think of other ways to reduce my families carbon footprint as cheaply as possible.
My children think 'green' is a dirty word, one to be avoided at all costs. They like the house lit up like the Blackpool Illuminations and turn the central heating up as soon as I walk out the front door.
I think getting them on board is going to be my biggest adventure.

No comments: